The School History
Brief History and development of the school
The Church Missionary Society (CMS) came to Kabare in 1910 with intention of Evangelism, Health and Education. They started a church, a dispensary and a Primary School at Kabare.
A primary school started with sub-standard A, B and then standard 1 to 4. At the end of standard 3, pupils did an exam called vernacular to allow them to join standard 4 and 5.
This system went on up to 1950. After this pupils could continue to classes 6-8 where they did KAPE to allow them join Government Secondary Schools.
After independence i.e. in 1963 there was only one public secondary school- Kerugoya Boys High School – thus the local leaders felt the need to build more public schools all over the district. The local leaders conceived the idea of starting theschool and discussed it at Kabare Boys Primary School in a meeting chaired by the late Richard Kagachi. This idea was then shared with Kabare Primary Boarding Committee who approved of it and the school was started with Kabare Boarding Primary providing accommodation for the pioneer students. The committee was given mandate to look for land.
The locational chief then Rtd senior chief Jotham Nguri convened a locational leaders meeting including Coffee Cooperative Society at Ngekenyi. The meeting resolved to solicit for funds from coffee farmers through the management of Kabare Farmers Cooperative Societies under the umbrella of Kirinyaga District Co-operative union under the Chairmanship of Mr. Marclus Njiru to start two schools, Kabare Girls’ High School and Mutige Boys.
In this farmers meeting members agreed to contribute 2 cents per half kilogram of cherry. This raised over Kshs. 80,000/= to be shared between the 2 secondary schools. Land was then earmarked at Kabare and 30 Acres of land acquired. The owners were relocated to Mwea through a request to the County Council of Kirinyaga.
On April 6th 1964 Kabare Girls High School started a form one class with 35 girls from Kirinyaga District on harambee basis through the sponsorship of Anglican Church.
At the beginning these students shared dormitories, Dining Hall and Kitchen with Kabare Boarding Primary School in the church compound.
In preparation for expansion of the girls’ accommodation, the steering committee put up 2 dormitories and 2 classrooms in the school compound. These were made of prefabricated materials acquired on credit from Yacoob Deen a saw miller at Karatina guaranteed by of Mr. Bernard Gathanga the area Member of Parliament by then.
The Head teacher then was Mr. Alvan Kagema Njinju. Towards the end of 1964 the late Mr. Habel John Nyamu from the Ministry of Education then, assisted the school to acquire 2 female volunteer teachers, Miss Jeldine Markee and Miss Jane Bell from the USA. Miss Markee became the first headmistress where upon the expiry of her term of service in 1968, she handed over to Miss Githae the first African female head teacher. The school presented its first lot of students for National examination in 1968 for in 1967 there were no trained teachers to prepare the students for the examination. Only four students from the pioneer class sat for the examination after repeating from 3 in this school while others went to Kahuhia Girls High School.
Due to the continued expansion in physical facilities, increased enrollment and good academic performance, Kabare Girls High School was elevated from a County School to a National School in 2012.